Disability Support Services (DSS)
DSS ensures you have access to educational opportunities by removing academic and structural barriers.
Get access to disability accommodations like:
- Extra time of tests
- Note-taking assistance
- Sign Language Interpreters
Project RISE can help you succeed at HCC, graduate and transfer to a four-year institution. Peer mentoring, workshops, cultural events and college visits are just a few ways we help.
You must meet one or more qualification:
- be a first-generation college student
- meet financial aid eligibility guidelines
- have a documented disability
- Kurzweil 3000 - robust literacy tool that provides reading, writing and study support.
- Voice Aloud & Voice Dream - screen readers for mobile devices.
- JAWS - screen reader. Available in the Library.
- Dragon Naturally Speaking - speech recognition & voice controller. Available in the Library.
Honors courses offer dynamic learning experiences as well as social, cultural and service opportunities.
If you are a highly motivated student, Heartland's selective Honors Program may be a great fit for you.
We are commited to promoting international education. Meet with students from around the world or earn credit by studying abroad.
If you've served your country and are looking to relax or get advice from others who have made the transition from the military to college life, stop by the Veterans Center.
Picture yourself getting involved:
- Student Government Association
- 50+ Clubs & Organizations
- 8 Study Abroad Destinations
- Alternative Spring Break
- Heartland Activities Committee
English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Take free classes
- Learn to read, write, speak and understand English better
- Find classes that work at your level
- Prepare for college-level classes
- Conexiones Latinas de McLean County - a non-profit organization that works to improve life for Latino families in Bloomington-Normal and McLean County, Illinois.
- McLean County India Association - a social/cultural group supporting Indian families in Bloomington-Normal.
- YWCA of McLean County - a non-profit organization focused on empowering women, eliminating racism and promoting social justice.
- The Immigration Project - provides immigration legal assistance.
- Prairie Pride Coalition - works to foster mutual respect for all people, regardless of sexual orientation and/or gender identity.