Jump over the site's primary content.
BASSET / STEPS Training For Beverage Alcohol Sellers & Servers
Heartland Community College is a licensed Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) training provider and we are proud to offer the Safety Training to Encourage Profitable Services (STEPS) training program which is an ILCC approved Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) program.
If you are a beverage alcohol seller or server and you need ILCC BASSET training, our STEPS program is for you!
The goals and objectives of the ILCC BASSET Program are:
- Train and educate sellers and servers to engage in responsible alcohol service
- Spot signs of intoxication and utilize various intervention techniques
- Prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities
- Stop underage sales and underage drinking
- Create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served
- Educate owners, managers and staff on dram shop insurance, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service
The four-hour STEPS training offered by Heartland Community College covers 5 topic areas:
- The physical properties of alcohol
- Intervention procedures
- Prevention techniques
- How to properly check identification cards and driver's licenses
- State and local laws regarding alcohol service and Dram Shop liability
Open-Enrollment STEPS Training Offered by HCC Community Education:
You can join fellow sellers and servers from area establishments in our open-enrollment STEPS classes provided by our Community Education Division. Cost per person is $39.00. To register, call the Community Education Office at (309) 268-8160.
Upcoming Open-Enrollment Classes:
Monday, May 19, 5-9PM
Monday, June 9, 5-9PM
Monday, August 11, 5-9PM
Employers: Need BASSET / STEPS Training for your employees?
Heartland Community College Customized Training can enroll a group of your employees in the open-enrollment STEPS trainings or we can set up a customized training exclusively for your staff on a time and day that is most convenient for you! The training can be held on-site at your place of business, or in a meeting room on our campus. Please contact Matt Graczyk, Customized Training Coordinator, at (309) 268-8431 for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- How many hours is the training? The STEPS training is four hours in duration.
- How do I get a BASSET Card? The Illinois Liquor Control Commission will mail a personalized BASSET card directly to each student who successfully completes the STEPS training.
- Where does the open-enrollment Community Education STEPS class meet? The classes meet in the Astroth Community Education Center (ACEC) building, room 2210.
- Where can I find a map of the campus? A campus map is available here: Heartland Community College-Normal Campus Map (available in PDF format, 313 KB, 1 page)*
- Where do I park? Park in lot “O”, enter the building through the south entrance door on the east side of the building. The classroom is on the second floor at the north end of the building.
- Where can I find directions to the campus? Directions to Heartland Community College-Normal Campus.
- Where can I find more information about the ILCC BASSET program? Please visit the Illinois Liquor Control Commission BASSET website.
Note: You must have Adobe® Acrobat® Reader in order to view and print this form. Download a free copy of Acrobat® Reader from Adobe®.