Appropriate candidates for Heartland's HALO Program have:
- A diagnosis of an intellectual disability, as defined by the Higher Education Opportunity Act
- A history of receiving special education services
- Reading, math and written language skills at a third grade level or above (isolated skill deficiencies may be acceptable depending on overall ability)
- The ability to participate in most program or class activities
- Sufficient emotional stability to adjust to all aspects of the program
Meeting these criteria does not gaurantee admission into the HALO program. Potential candidates must complete the application process to be considered for the HALO program.