CHLD 202: Health, Safety, and Nutrition for the Young Child
This course provides an overview of the health, safety and nutritional needs of young children and early childhood practices to ensure the health and well-being of each child in a group setting. Content includes roles and responsibilities of adults in meeting children's diverse needs, the promotion of healthy life style practices, understanding common childhood illnesses and injuries, meeting health, nutrition and safety standards, and planning nutritious meals appropriate for each child.
CHLD 202 Syllabus (PDF)
- Childhood Immunizations (PDF)
- Children's Books (PDF)
- Health and Safety Book List (PDF)
- Health Profile (PDF)
- My Plate Part 1 (PDF)
- My Plate Part 2 (PDF)
- Nutrition Education Plan (PDF)
- Playground Inspection Traditional Format (PDF)
- Playground Inspection (PDF)
- Program Health and Safety Profile (PDF)
Various resources used within the course or assigned activities.
- HCC Lesson Plan Form (PDF)
- HCC Lesson Plan Grading Rubric (PDF)
- HCC Lesson Plan Guidelines (PDF)
- Health Profile Form (PDF)
Content Questions (PDF)
Compilation of questions pertaining to textbook and additional course readings. Questions are arranged sequentially by textbook chapter.
Discussion Questions (PDF)
Potential topics for discussion in an online discussion board or during classroom instruction.
Readings and Resources (PDF)
Current, evidence-based resources aligned with OSEP-mandated objectives based on knowledge, skills, and dispositions early childhood practitioners need to acquire to support the learning and development of children and families within inclusive settings.