Jump over the site's primary content.
Upcoming International Events at Heartland Community College
International Education Week is November 17-21, but at Heartland Community College, the International Program offers activities year around. Our Student Calendar of Events features on-campus events, presentations, study abroad application deadlines, and community events. Additions to the schedule are made year-around so please check back often.
Here are some upcoming events for Heartland.
Go Somewhere!: Study Abroad Applications Available
The Study Abroad Office has applications available for:
- Spring 2009 semester study in Canterbury, England, Salzburg, Austria, and Seville, Spain
After November, the Study Abroad Office will have applications for:
- Summer 2009 study in San José, Costa Rica and Sydney, Australia
Each international experience has its own application, requirements and deadline. See the Study Abroad Office in CCB 2308 for details.
- Culture Club meets the first and third Wednesday of the month at 11:00 a.m. in ICB 2400. If you would like to join, please contact Shanon Dickerson at (309) 268-8664 or Shanon.Dickerson@heartland.edu.
Cultural Festival, Miller Park
- August 15-17, 2008 (Fri. 5 p.m. - 10 p.m., Sat. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m., and Sun. 12:30 p.m. - 10 p.m.): Come enjoy the 29th Cultural Festival in Miller Park! This annual event is a celebration of cultural diversity in the community, which will include activities, food and entertainment for all ages.
Sones de México
- October 10, 2008 (7:30 p.m.): The Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts A combination of acrobatic dance and music, Sones de México performs traditional Mexican music. Nominated for a Grammy in 2008, this amazing group from Chicago uses over 25 instruments in its performance.
International Guests Visit Heartland Campus
- October 11-25, 2008: Staff member, Amy Smith (Research Analyst), was selected to participate in the 2008-2009 two-week exchange experience. Her guest from Switzerland will be on-campus participating in meetings, attending classes, and completing daily tasks with her. Amy will go to Switzerland May 16 - 30, 2009 to reciprocate the experience.
International Education Week
- November 17-21, 2008: Events to be announced.
Cherish the Ladies, "A Celtic Christmas"
- December 13, 2008 (7:30 p.m.), The Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts: Enjoy traditional Irish melodies, carols and step-dancing. With 11 albums completed, a 1999 Grammy nomination, and increasing worldwide recognition, this group is a must see for the holidays.
African Children's Choir, "Journey of Hope"
- February 27, 2009 (7:30 p.m.) The Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts: Via raising awareness and funds to support orphaned children in Africa, the members of this choir are making a difference in their communities. These children bring a message and song of hope to the world via performances like those for the Queen, the Ellen Show, the UN General Assembly Hall, and Nelson Mandela's AIDS awareness concert. Come and be inspired!
To Be Announced
- Workshops, presentations, application deadlines and more are always being added. Check back often.