skip to main content

Earn a Degree at Heartland

Welcome! We're glad you want to apply for admissions at Heartland Community College.

Before you apply, please read through the process and gather all necessary documents. Your application must be complete and submitted before the deadline in order to be considered for Admissions at Heartland Community College.

  • An international student is a citizen of another country other than the United States who is authorized to remain in the United States for a temporary period of time, for educational purposes only as a non-immigrant (F-1 or M-1 visa).  If you have any other visa type (H-1, J-1, permanent residency, etc.), you will not need to apply as an international student. Please go to to find out about applying as a traditional student.

    B-Visa holders will be required to apply as an international student and then apply for a change-of-status with the US government to F-1. You will need to contact an immigration lawyer for help with a change-of-status request. Heartland Community College cannot give legal immigration advice.

  • Please follow the steps below to apply as an F-1 student at Heartland Community College.

    1. Submit international application and all supporting documentation before the deadline.
      Semester Application Due Date
      Spring 2019 (classes beginning in January) November 1st
      Summer 2019 (classes beginning in June) April 1st
      Fall 2019 (classes beginning in August) June 1st
    2. We will review your application and supporting documents.
    3. If you are accepted, we will send you an acceptance letter and I-20 via mail. Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery.
    4. Follow the instructions on your I-20 to set up an appointment with your local US Embassy to seek approval for an F-1 student visa.*

      *It is important to understand that not every international student is granted a visa. Your visa application may be denied by the US Government at any time, for any reason.

    5. If approved, make travel arrangements. You can travel to the US no sooner than 30 days before classes begin.
    6. Follow any next steps Heartland Admissions and International Programs staff give you. 
  • As a part of your application, we require some documents to be submitted. Below is a list of the documents and an explanation of each. 

    • Copy of your passport: Please submit a copy of your valid passport in order to verify your eligibility to travel to the United States.
    • Copy of all school records, diplomas, etc: Please submit your past history of your academics so we can know that you're prepared for the academic rigors of college.
    • Proof of Financial Eligibility document: Please download this document and fill it out in preparation for your application. When you apply, you must turn it in to show that you have enough financial sponsorship to pay for an entire year of tuition and other expenses.

      Download Proof of Financial Eligibility Document
    • Certified bank statements: Please submit certified bank statements that add up to our financial support requirement of $24,100 USD.
    • Copy of TOEFL or IELTS scores: Please submit copies of your TOEFL or IELTS scores to show English language ability.*

      *In order to be an international student at Heartland Community College, you must provide proof of English Language Ability. Students must score a minimum of 65 on the TOEFL (or 6 on the IELTS) in order to be admitted into an Undergraduate program. A minimum of 38 is required to be admitted into our Academic English Language Program. Scores below 38 will not be accepted.

  • If you have questions at any time during the application process, please contact us.
    Phone 309-268-8010
    All transcripts, letters and other admission materials become the property of Heartland Community College. Keep a copy of all your documents, as you may need them during your embassy appointment. 

Contact Us

International Admission

Phone: 309-268-8010

Gavin Lee

Associate Director of International Programs
Primary Designated School Official (PDSO)
Phone: 309-268-8043

Zach Petrea

Study Abroad/ICISP Representative