Tenure-Track Faculty: Communication
We invite applicants for a full-time, 9-month position in Communication to begin Fall 2020. This appointment is within the College’s Liberal Arts and Social Sciences division. Ideally, candidates will be communication generalists with an interest in dialogue, deliberation, and public engagement as a content area of scholarly inquiry and/or as a methodology for teaching.
The Communication program at HCC values a just and compassionate approach to communication studies where students learn the necessary skills to create a more civil and humane world. We seek candidates who integrates this philosophy with theory and practice and fosters engaged citizenship through courses and co-curricular opportunities related to public engagement and civic learning.
The successful candidate will teach primarily Introduction to Oral Communication with opportunities to teach Small Group Communication, Interpersonal Communication, Intercultural Communication, Introduction to Communication Theory, Activism, and/or Communication Practicum. Faculty teach a 5/5 course load with opportunities for online/hybrid courses and summer teaching assignments.
- Master’s degree in Communication
- Demonstrated record of excellence in teaching and institutional service
- Commitment to student success
- Ability to lead and to collaborate in curriculum and program development that bridges areas across the College
- Doctoral degree
- Successful community college teaching experience
- Experience using classroom assessment to improve teaching and learning outcomes
- Willingness to participate in and contribute to multiple aspects of campus life
For consideration, please submit the following.
- HCC employment application
- Cover letter addressing how your qualifications meet the position requirements
- Résumé or curriculum vitae
- Statement of teaching philosophy with description of teaching and assessment practices
- Transcript copies (included as part of application package)
Heartland Community College
Attn: Executive Director of Human Resources
1500 West Raab Road
Normal, IL 61761
You may also submit requested application materials as email attachments to HumanResources@heartland.edu. Documents sent through email may not be secure.
Review of applications will begin 1/21/2020, and will continue until the position is filled.
A PDF version of the HCC Employment Application (PDF) is available for you to download and complete.
HCC is an Equal Opportunity Institution
Heartland Community College affirms the value of diversity among students and employees.
The College provides equal educational opportunities to all students and equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, status as a veteran, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of enrollment and employment.
Individuals needing reasonable accommodations due to a disability in order to participate in the application process should contact the Human Resources Office, (309) 268-8130, TDD (309) 268-8030.