New HCC Exhibit Features Local Artist John Cassidy
Heartland Community College is currently showing an exhibit by local artist John Cassidy.
John Cassidy: Works on Paper, 1996-2007, will be on display through March 1 in the Joe McCauley Gallery, located in Room ICB 2507 on Heartland’s main campus, 1500 W. Raab Road, Normal. The gallery also will host a reception for the artist on Thursday, Feb. 28 from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Both the exhibition and reception are free and open to the public.
Works on Paper features an overview of Cassidy's abstractions, figurative work, and still lives from 1996 through 2007. Cassidy develops his subjects with imaginative and expressive elements, using charcoal, ink, pastel, gesso, and acrylic paint. His interests in literature, music, and film serve as starting points for this work, and his titles reflect these influences. Spanning 11 years, these mixed media works on paper reveal progressive inquiry and temporal resolution.
Born in Peoria, Cassidy holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in English from Bradley University. He has lived and worked in Bloomington/Normal since 1996, and his studio is located in Bloomington’s downtown Cultural District. His works have been exhibited at Bromenn Regional Medical Center, cometogetherspace, Main Gallery 404, McLean County Arts Center, and Parkland Community College.
Exhibits, events, and parking at Heartland’s Joe McCauley Gallery are free. Gallery hours are weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information about this exhibit, call Danell Dvorak, gallery coordinator, at (309) 268-8599, or contact Heartland’s Humanities and Fine Arts Department at (309) 268-8620.
For more information about Heartland Community College, visit www.heartland.edu.
News & Events
- Saturday Testing and Registration January 4!
- Students: Guaranteed Schedule Now in Place!
- New Physical Therapist Assistant Program at HCC
- HCC Receives EPA Distinction
- HCC Alum Pregracke Named CNN Hero of the Year
- New Student Days at HCC
- Save Money at HCC's Textbook Swap in January
- HCC Offering Manufacturing Fundamentals in 2014
- HCC Designated a Military Friendly School
- HCC Receives Governor's Sustainability Award
- "Walls and Bridges" Exhibition in McCauley Gallery
- Annual Holiday Light Recycling Drive Underway