Residency Requirements for In-District Tuition
In accordance with Illinois Community College Board and Illinois Public Community College Act rules on residency the following definitions will determine residency status for students in Community College District 540, Heartland Community College, unless provided under a separate written agreement with the Heartland Community College Board of Trustees.
Proof of in-district residency is required for you to receive the in-district tuition rate unless you graduated from a high school located in Heartland's district within the past year. Documentation of in-district residency must be provided by the first day of your first class to receive in-district tuition rates. To prove in-district residency, you must meet one of the criteria below at least 30 days prior to the start of the academic term regardless of your class session.
- Residing with your parent or guardian within District 540
- Emancipated minor, completely self-supporting and residing within District 540
- Married and maintaining a family residence within District 540
- Single and self-supporting as defined by the Federal Office of Education and maintaining a residence within District 540
Special Residency Classifications
Students who meet any one of the following criteria will be considered for in-district tuition rates: *
Residency by Employment
- You reside outside District 540, but work full time within the district.
- You reside outside District 540, are a dependent of a parent/guardian who works full time within the district.
Please download the Residency by Employment form and return to the Lincoln or Pontiac Centers or Admissions in the Community Commons Building.
Residency by Special Circumstances
- You reside outside District 540 but pay property taxes on land within the district.
- Please bring or fax a copy of the tax bill to the Lincoln or Pontiac Centers or Admissions in the Community Commons Building.
- Visiting students currently attending Illinois State University, Illinois Wesleyan University, Lincoln College or Lincoln Christian University must show a student I.D. and a current class schedule for the term you are planning on attending HCC to receive in-district tuition rates (summer semester is an exception - either spring or fall schedule can be used for residency).
- Out-of-district students attending Heartland Community College by virtue of an approved Cooperative Agreement (Interdistrict or otherwise) or Chargeback will only be required to pay the in-district tuition rate at Heartland Community College.
- You reside outside the district but are military personnel stationed and present in the district in connection with military service.
* Residency requirements may be different for Heartland selective admission programs.
* Students on a student visa (F-1) will be charged the out-of-country tuition rate.
Valid Documentation (subject to approval)
The following will be accepted if name, address and date are valid and provided by the first day of your first class:
- Voter's registration in District 540
- Tax, utility or rent receipts
- Valid driver's license or vehicle registration in District 540
- Valid IL state ID
- Bank account statement in District 540
- Lease from apartment or house with a District 540 address
- Mortgage agreement or contract to purchase
- Medical bills
- Credit card statement
- Insurance card or statement
- Hunting or fishing license
- Shelter residency documentation
- Installment loan documentation (car/boat/motorcycle etc.)
- Military active duty / Discharge documentation
How Do I Submit Documentation?
Choose one of the following:
- Scan and email your residency documentation (PDF or JPEG) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org (please list your name and ID number in the body of the email)
- Fax your residency documentation to: 309-268-7971
- Mail your residency documentation in attention to:
Heartland Community College
1500 W Raab Rd
Normal, IL 61761
- Bring your residency documentation in person to the Lincoln or Pontiac Centers or Admissions in the Community Commons Building
- Mailing Address: Please see https://www.heartland.edu/records/index.html. Only your mailing address can be updated through myHeartland.
- Permanent Address: You MUST change your permanent address in the Admissions Office (CCB 1000) by submitting either a driver's license, state ID, or property tax bill.
Heartland Community College does not provide on-campus housing. If you are interested in housing in the Bloomington-Normal area, please refer to the housing brochure.
Call the Office of Admissions: 309-268-8010.