Jump over the site's primary content.

Your Refunds Are Easy With The New Heartland OneCard

When am I eligible for a refund?

The last dates students may receive a 100% refund for tuition and fees for dropping a course are:

Refund Deadline Dates for Spring 2015 were:

Deadline Date Term
January 16 1st 8-week courses beginning January 12
January 26 Full semester courses beginning January 12
February 10 12-week courses beginning February 2
March 20 2nd 8-week courses beginning March 16

Refund Deadline Dates for Summer 2015 are:

Deadline Date Term
June 5 1st 8-week courses beginning June 1
May 19 1st 4-week courses beginning May 18
June 16 2nd 4-week courses beginning June 15


Refund Deadline Dates for Fall 2015 are:

Deadline Date Term
August 21 1st 8-week courses beginning August 17
August 28 Full semester courses beginning August 17
September 17 12-week courses beginning September 9
October 16 2nd 8-week courses beginning October 12

No refunds are issued for withdrawing after the above stated dates. And any payment or refund disputes must be resolved within 30 days following the end of the applicable academic term.

How do I drop a course or cancel my enrollment?

To avoid financial obligation to the College, students must notify the College IN WRITING, or online (using IRIS), postmarked or data entered, by the published refund dates (see dates in "When am I eligible for a refund?") if he/she does not plan to attend the courses in which they have enrolled. No telephone requests can be accepted. If a student uses IRIS to drop or withdraw from a class, a printout of the successful transaction should be retained by the student.

How are Heartland Community College refunds delivered to students?

All refunds for cancelled and dropped classes will be paid according to the refund method selected by the student using their Heartland OneCard at http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com. If the student's account was paid using a debit or credit card, the student must notify the Business Office (come to campus and see the Cashier or call (309)268-8140) immediately following the enrollment change that caused the refund and provide the 16-digit card number and expiration date for any refund to be issued back to the debit or credit card used for payment. For security reasons, this card information is not stored by the College.  Credit card refunds will generally not be issued after the second week of class (for a full semester 16-week class).

When will refunds be issued?

Generally, financial aid credit balance refunds (for Pell and SEOG awards) are disbursed to students after the fifth week of the semester. Note that student federal loan refunds are not disbursed until after the 60% point of the semester.  Grant and scholarship funds awarded by private/outside donors are not applied to a student's account until the money is received by the College. 

Regular student refunds (non-financial aid) will typically be issued during the 3rd week of classes. When a student receives their refund depends on the refund method they have selected using their Heartland OneCard at http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com.

What are my options for receiving all student refunds, including financial aid refunds?

Your options include having your refund:

  1. Directly deposited into your OneAccount - Easy Refund    (Funds available same day as disbursement by the College); or
  2. Deposited to another bank of your choice - ACH Transfer to Other Bank    (Funds available 2 – 3 business days after disbursement by the College.)

What do students need to do?

Students must login to http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com using their Heartland OneCard 16-digit card number once they have received their card to CHOOSE their refund preference. The Heartland OneCard will be mailed to the student's address on file with the College. If a Heartland OneCard is sent to the address on file and it is incorrect or undeliverable, a $20 dollar charge will be assessed to the student to issue a replacement (new) Heartland OneCard. This represents the charge by Higher One to issue a new card to the student.

Can I have my refund deposited to another bank account?

If you choose to have your refund deposited to a bank of your choice, this transfer may take 2-3 business days from the day Heartland releases the funds. In order to have your refund deposited into your own bank account (checking or savings), you must still login to http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com with the 16-digit card number on your Heartland OneCard.  For this option, you will need to chose the "ACH transfer to other bank" option and  complete, print and mail the third party signature form to the designated address. This form can also be scanned and e-mailed or faxed to Higher One.  If you forget to print the signature form, it is available on http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com.

Can I select a paper check instead?

No.  The College has chosen to issue all student refunds electronically.  Regardless of how you choose to receive your funds, you must always activate your refund preference using your Heartland OneCard at http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com.

What is the OneAccount?

The OneAccount from Higher One is a fully functioning FDIC insured checking account that allows you to access your student refunds quicker and easier than ever before. The OneAccount has no minimum balance and offers free Internet banking features. As with most bank accounts, overdraft, inactivity, and other penalty fees may be assessed.  With it, you can use your Heartland OneCard to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted.

What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to my OneAccount?

  1. Easy Refund (depositing your refund into your OneAccount) is the quickest way to gain access to your money. In order to have your refund directly deposited, open your OneAccount as soon as possible.
  2. You can use the Heartland OneCard as a debit card (NOT A CREDIT CARD) to make purchases at all Debit MasterCard locations, access cash at an ATM, pay bills, send money electronically and so much more.
  3. There is no charge to you for receiving your refund directly in your OneAccount. There is no minimum balance for the OneAccount.

How will I know when my refund has been deposited to my OneAccount?

You will receive an e-mail when your refund has been directly deposited to your OneAccount. Additionally, you will be able to see details of your OneAccount by accessing your OneAccount Statement on the website.

Why is the Debit MasterCard logo on the new Heartland OneCard?

The Heartland OneCard is the card you use to access your funds if you choose to open the OneAccount. With the Debit MasterCard logo on it, you can use the card as a debit card wherever Debit MasterCard® is accepted. The card is NOT a credit card. It is a DEBIT card.

What will happen to my refund if I don't select a refund preference using my Heartland OneCard?

Heartland will not be able to disburse your refund to you. Regardless of whether you anticipate a refund or not, it is important to chose your refund preference using your Heartland OneCard at http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com.

What do I do if I did not receive my Heartland OneCard in the mail?

You may log on to http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com and use the "Where's my Card" self-help feature that will provide you with the real-time status of your card. You may also contact the Heartland Community College Business Office at 309-268-8140.  You may need to order a replacement Heartland OneCard and the Business Office can help students with that.

Is there a cost for a new or replacement Heartland OneCard?

Yes, if a card is destroyed or discarded and the student requires a new one, a $20 dollar charge will be assessed to the student's account. If the OneCard was mailed to the student address on file with the College and the address was incorrect or undeliverable by the US Postal Service, a $20 dollar charge will also be assessed to issue a replacement (new) card to a corrected address.

Is this my official Heartland ID card?

No. Official Heartland photo ID cards are issued in-person on campus throughout the semester.  Students should visit the Library to obtain a student id card.

What if I have additional questions?

For more information about the Heartland OneCard and refunds, please visit http://www.HeartlandOneCard.com/easyhelp.