Textbook Selection Tips
- Meet HCC textbook adoption deadlines. This assures compliance with the HEOA, gives the bookstore time to source used textbooks, and affords students the opportunity to comparison shop.
- Use Open Educational Resources as much as possible.
- Allow students to use an older edition.
- Wait a year to adopt the new edition of your textbook to allow time for a used market to develop.
- Place your textbook on reserve in the Library.
- Utilize textbook comparison tools.
- Remember that loose-leaf, bundles, and customized textbooks may be cheaper up front but often have no buy back value.
- IF the textbook is used heavily throughout the course for readings, class discussion, test prep, and home work
- AND IF a student cannot complete the class successfully without the textbook
- THEN it is “required”.
Anything else is optional. Students don’t optional and neither should you.