Mission, Vision & Values
Heartland inspires lives through accessible and personalized student support, exemplary innovation, and high expectations for success in teaching and learning.
Heartland is an adaptable and collaborative community resource, promoting life-long learning and exceptional community progress.
- We are learner-centered, focused on creating a personalized path to success for each holistic learner.
"To see things in the seed, that is genius." - Lao-Tzu
- We inspire an upbeat, can-do attitude, empowering our students, our communities, and each other to fully actualize our potential.
"When a person is willing and eager, the gods join in." - Aeschylus
- We prioritize and support professional development of all employees so that we may continually adapt and improve.
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing while others judge us by what we have already done." - Longfellow
- We are all partners in the success of the organization, boldly embracing current and future options that will empower our students and communities.
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." - Lincoln
- We salute tradition, we do not idolize it.
"Ancestry is most important to those who have done nothing themselves." - Louis L'Amour
- We respect all individuals; civility, collegiality, and the highest standards of professionalism characterize Heartland's daily environment.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Emerson
- We are proud of our College's quality but always seek improvement.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
- We practice ethical decision-making and responsible use of environmental, financial, and community resources to promote a sustainable future.
"This we know: the Earth does not belong to people; people belong to the Earth. This we know: all things are connected. Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the people of the Earth." - Ted Perry
Foundational Commitments & Enduring Goals
- Valuing People
- "HCC will engage internal and external constituents to encourage open communication, promote professional and personal development, and implement processes that enhance organizational culture."
- "HCC will recruit, hire, professionally develop, and retain talented and collaborative employees to advance organizational excellence."
- Collaborating Effectively
- "HCC will champion collaboration among internal and external constituents to stimulate social, economic, and environmental advancements."
- Serving as a Community Resource
- "HCC will provide an array of expertise, programs and facilities to address community needs that align with our mission."
- Creating Access to Opportunities
- "HCC will broaden pathways to lifelong learning by fostering personal growth, minimizing obstacles, and facilitating progress."
- Supporting Student Success
- "HCC will effectively transition students into college-level coursework by assessing, accelerating, and augmenting student readiness."
- "HCC will empower our students to explore options, develop intentional pathways, and achieve relevant academic and career goals."
- "HCC will improve student support by continually assessing and responding to diverse needs."
- "HCC will promote a student-centered culture by intentionally building relationships that promote student engagement and development."
- Leading Quality Innovation
- "HCC will enhance decision making at all levels of the organization through processes and technologies that guarantee quality data and actionable intelligence to support improvement."
- "HCC will incorporate systems-oriented, data-informed approaches to create, implement, and share exemplary practices."
- Modeling Stewardship and Sustainability
- "HCC will adhere to informed and responsible practices that safeguard social, economic, and environmental well-being."
- "HCC will practice visionary planning, actively pursuing resources and partnerships to ensure our long-term viability."
- Exemplifying Teaching and Learning Excellence
- "HCC will recruit, hire, professionally develop, and retain high quality faculty, instructors, and learning support staff."
- "HCC will design, deliver, and assess high quality curriculum and instruction for our diverse programs, supporting relevant career pathways for learners."
- "HCC will design, develop, and maintain exemplary physical and technological infrastructure to create an optimal teaching and learning environment."
- "HCC will effectively assess students' experiences, creating actionable intelligence applied at key momentum points to improve student learning."
- Approved by the HCC Board of Trustees July 17, 2012