Art courses teach you problem solving and critical thinking skills. This can be a benefit to any career you choose and greatly enrich your life. At HCC, courses are led by professional artists in a studio atmosphere. They'll teach you the theories and fundamentals of design and help you critically assess your work. You will grow creatively by focusing on concept, technique, and invention.
- Heartland's McCauley Gallery showcases student and professional artwork throughout the year.
- You can take two years at Heartland and be on track to finish your Bachelor of Arts in Art in two years with the recommended program sequence.
- New and current students of art can apply for the Joe McCauley Art Scholarship.
- Art students are encouraged to exhibit their work both on-campus and in outside exhibitions.
- Heartland art facilities include painting and drawing studios, darkroom and digital photo labs, a state of the art Mac computer lab, a sculpture lab that includes a woodshop and foundry, a ceramics lab with both electric and gas fired kilns.
- Heartland Art Department has several 2 + 2 transfer agreements with ISU:
- Art grads report high levels of employment and career satisfaction.*
- "Artists are highly entrepreneurial. More than 6 in 10 were self-employed and 14 percent founded their own company."*
- 80% of recent art graduates find a first job that's either "closely" or "somewhat" related to their education. (SNAAP)
- 65% of recent art alumni and 68% of distant art alumni continue to work in arts-related fields. (SNAAP)
- Even among those who don't work in the arts, over half still said their arts training is relevant to their job. (SNAAP)
- Arts graduates' starting salaries average around $38,400 according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers. That's comparable to most other liberal arts majors and even a little better than some fields, like psychology.
- Arts graduates tend to be happy with their choice. The 2014 SNAAP report found job satisfaction to be very high among both recent and prior graduates: 75% and 82%, respectively. Compared to Gallup's 2013 State of the American Workplace report finding that only 36% of executives, 34% of doctors, and 31% of teachers were engaged in their work.
- According to an IBM survey of more than 1,500 CEOs from 60 countries and 33 industries worldwide, business leaders believe that the most important skill for future success is creativity.
- High arts involvement is related to finding a better job, earning degrees, and volunteering.
- Creativity is one of the top three personality traits most important to career success, according to U.S. employers.
- Teaching creativity develops critical thinking skills, engages students, and fosters innovation.
- In a survey of college educated, full-time employees, ages 25+, 85 percent agreed that creative thinking is critical for problem solving in their career. 71 say creative thinking should be taught as a course, like math and science. And, while 78 percent stated that creativity is very important to their career, only 57 percent thought so when they were in college.
- 72 percent of employers say creativity is of primary concern when they're hiring, yet 85 percent of these employers can't find the creative applicants they seek.
- Employers (56 percent) and superintendents (79 percent) agree that a college degree in the arts is the most significant indicator of creativity in a prospective job candidate.
An exciting variety of career opportunities exist for those with a background in the arts, including:
- Art Director
- Fine Artist
- Craft Artist
- Craft Artist
- Graphic Designer
- Web Designer
- Industrial Designer
- Interior Designer
- Multimedia Artist
- Game Designer
- Special Effects Artist
- Gallery Director
- Museum Curator
- Landscape Architect
Earn your Heartland degree and transfer to a four-year college or university:
If you plan to complete the first two years of study at Heartland and then continue your studies as a Art major at a four-year institution in Illinois, the Associate in Arts (AA) transfer preparation program is the path for you.