Prepare yourself for an exciting, challenging and rewarding career in healthcare.
Help dentists with general office duties and provide more effective oral health care by learning to prep patients for treatments. This 60-hour course includes oral anatomy, dental equipment, sterilization techniques, and proper patient positioning. After successful completion of the classroom portion, an optional 40-hour externship is available.
Employment & Education
Dental assistants work in a variety of health care settings including dentist offices, hospitals and other similar facilities. With the national increase in health care related services and the national shortage of health care professionals, the need for dental assistants is growing substantially. The occupational outlook handbook states that employment of dental assistants is expected to grow 25 percent from 2012 to 2022.
Most employers prefer that dental assistants and aides have a high school diploma or equivalent. There are state and national examinations that test the competency of Dental Assistants and which often lead to a Dental Assistant/Hygienist certification.
Detailed Course Information
The 60 hour Dental Assisting Program prepares students for entry level positions in one of the fastest growing health care positions – Dental Assisting. The purpose of this course is to familiarize the student with all areas of pre-clinical dental assisting and provide training in the professional skills required to function as an assistant in the dental practice.
NOTE: This program does not include a national or state certification objective which, in most states, requires 1 to 2 years of training or education.
- Describe dental specialties and the history of dentistry
- Identify the members of the dental staff and general job descriptions
- Identify and name the parts of the jaw and areas of the mouth
- Oral embryology and histology
- Tooth charting, tooth surfaces and classification of restorations on a tooth
- Identify a single crown restoration, bridge, implant, partial denture, and full denture
- Overview of dentitions
- Periodontal disease and preventative dentistry
- Identify and name dental equipment and accessories/equipment in a treatment room
- Oral pathology, microbiology, disease transmission and infection control
- Principles and techniques of Instrument processing and sterilization
- Chemical and waste management
- Dental unit water lines
- Dental hand pieces and accessories
- Moisture control
- Dental cements, impression materials and general dentistry
- Endodontics, periodontics and oral maxiofacial surgery
Register for Dental Assisting
We offer an installment payment plan and student loans are available through SallieMae. Additionally, this class is eligible for state grant money. Call us at 309-268-8160 for more information.
Employment Statement for Job Training Programs
Heartland Community College does not guarantee employment upon completion of instructional programs. Students are responsible for researching relevant employment opportunities prior to registration. No refunds will be provided if a student fails to complete a course, does not pass a certification exam, or is unsuccessful at obtaining employment.