Teen Leadership and Service Academy
Gain leadership experience and earn service hours
- Whether you are just starting to gain leadership experience or are ready to take your skills to the next level, the Teen Leadership & Service Academy will foster your professionalism while you earn service hours around your busy summer schedule. A full-day workshop, led by a business training expert, will help you grow key communication, goal-setting, and teamwork skills. Put your new skills into practice with K-8th grade students as you assist Continuing Education instructors and/or take part in other service opportunities. After completing the workshop, reflection questions, and volunteer hours, you'll receive a personal reference letter documenting your service hours and training.
- Complete the application by May 10, 2023 (original deadline extended!)
- Obtain a personal reference and have them complete the reference form below by May 10, 2023.
- Applications that are incomplete and/or late will not be accepted.
- Interview invitations will be sent out May 12.
- Virtual interviews will be hosted May 16 and May 17.
- After acceptance into the program, student leaders will be contacted for official registration and payment in mid May.
- Limited service opportunities are available in summer 2023 at HCC's campus. Alternative options will be discussed so we can work to serve all interested students.
TLSA participants must be between the ages of 14 and 18.
- Our program is open to anyone entering 9-12th grades for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Academic performance is not a prerequisite. Sharing GPA info on the application is optional.
- We plan to interview all candidates who submit an application and provide a non-family reference.
- Submit application materials within timeframe provided.
- Students begin their leadership journey through participating in virtual group interviews.
- If accepted into the program, participants will:
- Attend a required 1-day leadership workshop at HCC in early June. Your day will include lunch.
- Complete service hours as agreed upon by program leader.
- Demonstrate Student Leader competencies as outlined in TLSA Handbook and covered in orientation.
- Perform all required classroom activities with instructor and cohort activities with program leaders.
- Work with a small group who needs supplemental activities or additional support or time to complete a lesson.
- Lead a part of a lesson or activity at the request or invitation of the instructor (ex. 10 minutes).
- Help resolve a problem or conflict that a student is experiencing under the direction or guidance of the instructor.
- Plan a last-day activity (10 minutes) to celebrate hard work and friends made.
- Provide one-on-one support to students who need more time or additional help.
- Ensure instructors’ materials are organized or environment is prepped or cleaned during the day (ex. Copies made or sorted, tables set up, monitors cleaned).
- Provide feedback on student work under the direction or guidance of the instructor (ex. Peer review to writing, feedback on a project, etc.).
If accepted into the program, there is an $95 fee to participate. Cost includes a lunch on orientation day, leadership materials, and HCC credentials.
- For information on financial assistance, fill out SCHOLARSHIP FORM