Coronavirus Information for Students
Stay in the know
Fall 2021 Classes
Heartland will offer face-to-face classes for most Fall courses.
All classes held in-person at Heartland facilities will employ health safety practices and guidelines. Read the Phase 5 Standard of Care & Courtesy here.
As operations change in relation to the evolving COVID-19 situation, the College will communicate any important messages to you through:
- Your Heartland email account
- To ensure your email/password is up to date, visit the Password Station.
- To have your HCC email forward to a personal email, visit this link.
- Text alerts: To receive emergency messages via HCC ALERTS text JOIN to 1-877-200-7477
- Your course sites in Canvas: To ensure your Canvas notification settings are current, click this link. visit To ensure your Canvas notification settings are current, click this link.
Is my class online, hybrid, or face-to-face?
Class formats are listed on the Fall 21 class schedule. If you are unsure about the format or would like information about a specific class assistance is available through Raab.Advisors@heartland.edu.
Am I required to be vaccinated to attend classes at Heartland?
Students and personnel on campus must provide documentation of vaccination or are required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testing. Find more information here.
How can I access services at Heartland?
Regular operations of the College including Admissions and Student Support Services are available on campus or through remote services. Call 309-268-8000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to connect with College services.
The Business Office is open for services Monday through Thursday 8am–5pm, and Friday 8am–4:30pm. Students can also pay or set up payment plans online. For questions call 309-268-8140.
Student Access and Accommodation Services
If you have been impacted by the Coronavirus due to illness and/or self-quarantining, please complete the Temporary Medical Accommodation Form. If you are reporting missing classes, you will not need to do anything further. If you indicate a need for an accommodation due to changes in your class environment, Student Access and Accommodation Services (SAAS) will reach out after receiving your form. You can also email SAAS at email@example.com.
All Heartland counselors are equipped to distance counsel. Current clients are being contacted directly. New clients can complete the counseling online intake form and will be contacted as soon as possible. Emergency counseling should contact the hotline 309-827-4005. All interactions between students and counselors are strictly confidential and are not subject to disclosure without a student's written permission.
Current, Returning, or Visiting Students
You have four ways to connect with an advisor:
- Call (309) 268-8033 to schedule an appointment.
- Speak with an advisor online during Virtual Drop-In hours on Fridays 9am-noon and 1-4pm. Just visit www.zoom.us, click "Join Meeting" and enter the Meeting ID: 332 683 7976
- Make an Advising appointment through the myHeartland portal. Login to myHeartland, click the Appointments tab, select Advisement, then choose Normal campus. The appointment will be conducted online via Zoom. You will receive a Zoom link in your myHeartland email. Simply click on that link at your scheduled appointment time.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, include your ID number, and ask questions via email.
- Call (309) 268-8033 to schedule your New Student Appointment.
- Or, login to your myHeartland account, click the Appointments tab, select Advisement -->Normal campus -->New Student to see available times for online appointments. Upon confirmation, you will receive a Zoom link in your myHeartland email, which you will use to connect with your advisor. Simply click on that link at your scheduled appointment time.
On campus tutoring is available in SCB 1300, located in the Library. Hours are 10am-3pm Monday-Thursday. Online tutoring is also offered remotely via phone, email and Zoom. For details visit the Tutoring Center webpage, contact Tutoring Services at Tutoring@heartland.edu or call 309-268-8231.
Library and Open Computer Lab
The Library and Open Computer Lab are open 10am-5pm Monday-Thursday. Most Library resources are also offered online. For more details check out the Library webpage or by clicking the “Library” tab in myHeartland.
The Testing Center is open for in-person appointments during open hours for placement, community, and course testing for courses that have an in-person component. Students can also make an appointment to complete their placement test remotely.
The Food Pantry is open to students. If you would like to request a box, you can email email@example.com. You will be contacted with a few questions so we can best meet your household food needs, and we will prepare food for you to pick up in the Student Commons Building near the Security desk.
The FRC is open for use. Check the Fitness and Recreation Center page or call 309-268-8432 for check-in guidelines.
Is there emergency financial assistance available for students?
Heartland Community College has a Student Emergency Fund to support students faced with unexpected, financial hardship. Students may be eligible for temporary, short–term financial assistance. For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience respiratory symptoms associated with coronavirus including fever, cough, and difficulty breathing you should contact a healthcare provider. Students are expected to monitor their symptoms and take appropriate action before coming on campus.
HCC students can register for ISU Health Services. There is a fee every semester.
Adults without health insurance may be able to receive some care from the Community Health Clinic. Remember to call ahead with inquiries. They do not serve walk-in patients.
There are some additional resources that may be available through state of Illinois. Start here to see criteria for these services:
If you have existing healthcare coverage, call ahead to let your provider know of your symptoms. Local providers include:
1765 Bradford Ln, Normal
Carle Convenient Care
1437 E College, Normal
2240 Fort Jesse Rd, Normal
Carle Convenient Care
1437 E College, Normal
We understand that illness may limit the ability to participate in class.
- Communicate immediately with your instructors if you need to miss class due to illness.
- If you must miss multiple classes, you can complete the temporary medical accommodation form or contact Student Access and Accommodation Services.
What is the status of Adult Education classes?
Please refer to the Adult Education website for ongoing information.
What is the status of Continuing Education classes?
Visit the Continuing Education page for the status of classes including personal enrichment, professional development, workforce training, Truck Driver Training, Traffic Safety School and others.
The College has developed this FAQ page to address some common questions. Students can also call 309-268-8000 to speak with someone about classes and College services.