Help others while learning valuable skills as a HALO Peer Mentor!
Heartland's HALO program offers a supportive and inclusive college experience for adults with intellectual disabilities. As a peer mentor, you can provide academic and social support to help HALO students thrive at HCC.
As a peer mentor, you will provide meaningful support to HALO students through a semester-long commitment. Each week you'll spend four-to-six hours on mentoring activities which include:
- attending college courses with your HALO student and modeling appropriate college behavior for them to follow
- providing in or out of class supports and modifications to help them get the most from the experience
- offering academic and social support outside of class
- serving as a liaison between instructors, HALO program staff and your HALO student
- noting your work in a mentoring log
As a HALO mentor you’ll:
- Practice teaching skills - Put your education to work as you modify assignments, adapt lesson plans, improvise social supports and facilitate learning to support your student in a college level class.
- Gain leadership skills - Learn leadership and interpersonal communication skills as you work with instructors and support personnel in a professional manner.
- Develop personal skills - Improve your own skills in time management, organization, studying, goal setting and academic support as you identify and help to instill those skills in your mentee.
- Build a diverse resumé - Demonstrate the ability to work with and advocate for a diverse population including individuals with disabilities – an important skill in today’s society that employers value.
- Make friends - Establish meaningful relationships with your mentee and with other mentors who share similar interests and values.
"Being a mentor has provided me with experiences in working with individuals with disabilities. It has given me the opportunity to see things from a new perspective. These are skills that will benefit me in my career path and in life."
To apply, you must:
- Have a minimum 2.0 college GPA.
- Commit to 1-4 hours per week to attend class and meet with your mentee.
- Pass a background check.
Send the following to HALO, Student Access and Accommodation Services, Attn: HALO Peer Mentor Program, Heartland Community College, 1500 West Raab Rd., Normal, Il 61761
- A completed HALO peer mentor application form (PDF)
- Your college transcript
- A letter of recommendation from an instructor
- A listing of your availability (day & time) for the semester in which you plan to mentor