Medical & Disability Resources
When your child has a disability or a significant medical challenge, navigating the medical establishment or the network of disability support services may seem overwhelming. To assist you in that process, we've developed a list of resources that may help you locate the information you need.
Children's hospitals provide expert care for young children. They have specialists on staff who focus on the various medical and developmental aspects of childhood. Information on the services they provide, the pediatric specialties they serve and how to seek a physician's appointment are available through each hospital's Web site.
Children's hospitals in Illinois include:
- Children's Hospital of Illinois
- Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
- Comer Children's Hospital at the University of Chicago
- LaRabida Children's Hospital
- Shriners Hospitals for Children
- Sinai Children's Hospital
- St. John's Children's Hospital
Hospitals outside of Illinois can be located through the National Association of Children's Hospitals and Related Institutions.
General Medical & Disability Resources
- The American Academy of Pediatrics offers information on a variety of health related topics through their healthy children site.
- The Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development provides a comprehensive, searchable database of health and human development topics.
- The March of Dimes provides information on issues related to birth defects and prematurity.
- Medline Plus is supported through the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, and provides resources on multiple health topics impacting children. Information also is available in Spanish.
- The National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities is supported through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and provides multiple resources on development, disability, parenting and childhood health issues.
Parent Support Group Resources
- The Family Resource Center on Disabilities provides a listing of various parent support groups in Illinois (PDF).
- Disability Resources, Inc. provides a listing of various disability related support groups in Illinois.
- Disability.gov provides links to various parent support groups and disability organizations.