Heartland students place at national business competitionJuly 24, 2017
Six HCC students received top placements at the Phi Beta Lambda (PBL) national business conference held June 24-27 in Anaheim, CA. Competing against more than 2,000 students from two and four-year schools across the country, the following Heartland students placed in the top ten:
- Micah Sire, Sales Presentation (2nd): Presented on selling 4-colored pens (2nd)
- Stefan Mangina, Small Business Management Plan (5th): Wrote a plan for a business he plans to open in the near future
- Maddie Inselmann and Abigail Jackson, Community Service Project (7th): Collected over 300 pieces of donated business clothing for Heartland students and area-community members
- Truong (Jack) Luu, Small Business Management Plan (8th): Wrote a plan for a business he plans to open when he returns to his home in Vietnam
- Tiara Johnson, Computer Applications (10th): Took hands-on computer application and objective exams
To qualify for the competition, students first competed at the state conference in April 2017. There, Heartland had 16 top-three finishes and 14 national competition qualifications. According to PBL advisor Linda Lambert, both the state and national competition had the largest amount of HCC participants and awards won since the College started participating three years ago.
“I am so proud of the work and effort students put into preparing and competing at both the national and state conferences, said Lambert. “I’m especially proud of their willingness to work and serve their communities.”
Phi Beta Lambda is a national business organization. Their mission is to develop leaders through service and learning. Heartland’s chapter of Phi Beta Lambda includes 18 members. With the support of the college, business partners within the community, members receive leadership training, attend conferences, compete in events, network with business professionals and take part in field trips.
Those interested in becoming a member or businesses looking to talk to students about networking, interviewing skills and other professional topics can contact Linda Lambert, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written by: Becky Gropp