skip to main content

Veteran Education Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs and ISAC (Illinois Student Assistance Commission) administer a variety of veteran benefit programs for education.  Many veterans and active duty personnel may qualify for more than one educational benefits program.

 If you would like to use your VA benefits, you must visit the Financial Aid Office and let us know you have registered for classes.  If you have made changes to your class schedule, please notify Financial Aid.

Fill out this request for benefits and certification form and return to the Financial Aid Office. 

Federal Veteran Education Benefits:

View current rates for:

If you are transferring to HCC from another college and have your Letter of Eligibility, you will need to complete the Change of Program or Place of Training Form.

All Chapters must fill out an application available online at  To ensure correct processing please provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Office.  HCC does not determine benefit eligibility or payment details, we simply certify your enrollment to the VA.  All processing questions should be directed to the VA for resolution.

Please visit for other types of Federal assistance.

The State of Illinois also administers education benefit programs for veterans:

Once your application has been processed by the State, you will receive and eligibility letter.  Please forward this to the Financial Aid Office.  Note: Changes in federal, state, and/or institutional policies could affect the above stated financial information. 

Requesting Military Transcripts

Veterans or reservists may be eligible to receive additional transfer credit for specialized military training.  One of the following applicable documents must be submitted to the Records Office to receive this credit.  Unofficial copies or transcripts printed from the Internet cannot be accepted.  Information describing how to obtain an official JST (formerly AARTS or SMART or Coast Guard Institute Transcript), CCAF, or Coast Guard transcript is listed below. 

JST (formerly AARTS or SMART or Coast Guard Institute Transcript) - Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, Army, National Guard, and Army Reserve: An official copy of the Joint Services Transcript request form may be obtained online at SMART- Joint Services Transcript

CCAF - Air Force: The Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request form is located at CCAF Transcript Request

National Testing Program

Advancing your education often requires costly national tests.  Students can be reimbursed all required (mandatory) fees charged for national admission tests and national tests for college credit.

Check if your test qualifies for reimbursement at National Testing Program.

Higher Education Veterans Service Act Survey Result for Heartland

Download the Higher Education Veterans Service Act survey results (PDF)

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office

Community Commons Building (CCB), Room 1106
1500 W. Raab Rd.
Normal, IL 61761

Phone: 309-268-8020