Public Safety and Security
At Heartland Community College, your safety is our top priority. That’s why our Public Safety Officers maintain a 24/7 security presence, including our desk located at the main entrance of the Student Commons Building.
Contact us at 309-268-8300, or in case of an emergency, call 911. Stop by for a campus map, to make a report, or ask us a question!
Our Public Safety Officers are trained in CPR/AED/First Aid, FEMA Hazardous Materials Awareness, and the FEMA Incident Command System in order to work seamlessly with local emergency response agencies. HCC Public Safety is actively engaged with student government, campus organizations, and the student body.
HCC Public Safety offers the following security capabilities and services:
- 17 “Code Blue” emergency poles on campus, all equipped with audio and video connected to the Public Safety Desk. (Normal campus only)
- 21 “Areas of Rescue Assistance” located in stairwells, connected to the Public Safety Desk.
- A campus-wide tornado warning system. (Normal campus only)
- AED’s and First Aid kits in every campus building, in the Public Safety vehicle, and at the Public Safety Desk.
- All elevators are equipped with an emergency phone connected to the Public Safety Desk. (Normal campus only)
- The Public Safety Desk is equipped with monitors for the over 200 video cameras on campus, as well as modern alarm systems.
- Public Safety Officers are available to escort students to their destinations upon request. (Call the Public Safety Dest at 309.268.8300)
- Personal safety and crime prevention presentations are available for all student groups.
Emergency Text Alerts
Heartland Community College has a new system for sending important notifications. Opt in today!
This voluntary text messaging service can deliver two types of information:
- Emergency Alerts (HCC-ALERTS) – Notification of a serious concern affecting campus, including any campus closures due to severe weather
- Temporary Interferences (HCC-ACCESS) – Notification of an interference to campus access such as elevator repairs, blocked stairs, sidewalks and closed entries and parking areas
If you currently receive HCCAlerts, you will be automatically enrolled in the new system.
For Emergency Alerts
Text JOIN HCC-ALERTS to 31389
Scan the QR Code below and click SEND
Text LEAVE HCC-ALERTS to 31389 to opt out of the emergency text message service.
For Temporary Interferences
Text JOIN HCC-ACCESS to 31389
Scan the QR Code below and click SEND
Text LEAVE HCC-ACCESS to 31389 to opt out of the temporary interference text message service.
The system will reply with an acknowledgement that you have signed up to receive notifications!
HCC does not charge a fee for this service. Review your particular mobile device texting and data plan for service details specific to your account. HCC will not share your mobile number or information with any other organization.
Please familiarize yourself with the Immediate Action Guide (PDF) which will help you make decisions in emergency situations.
Planning for emergencies is a constant and ever-evolving process. The latest information will always be available in the Emergency Response Planning (PDF), and you should check back periodically for updates.
You can download the HCC Emergency Information card (PDF) to find additional information and local on-campus and off-campus resources.
The College has established the Emergency Management Planning Committee (EMPC) to coordinate and facilitate emergency planning for the College. In addition, the EMPC is responsible for overseeing the activities of the College Violence Prevention Committee and the Behavioral Intervention Team. See the EMPC policy (PDF) for more information.
Have you seen or heard something that causes you to be concerned for the personal safety of yourself or others? Call 268-SAFE. The Behavioral Intervention Team (BIT) is the College's Threat Assessment Team. They can review information and conduct inquiries to help identify behaviors and will assist anyone who may be on a pathway to violence.
- Indicators of Potential Pathway to Violence (PDF)
- Behavioral Intervention FAQs (PDF)
- Behavioral Intervention Team Policy (PDF)