We have four priorities at Heartland Community College:
- promoting student success
- serving as a community resource
- ensuring resource stewardship
- modeling effective communication, collaboration and transparency
At our campuses in Normal, Lincoln and Pontiac, we strive to provide accessible, innovative learning opportunities that enrich our community, and in our degree and certificate programs, we work to ensure student achievement of the College's Essential Competencies (PDF).
At the end of every fiscal year we publish our Annual Update, which includes stories on some of our major initiatives as well as a financial report.
The reasons people come to Heartland vary widely and so do our programs. You can:
- Complete an associate degree or certificate in our many areas of study.
- Learn something new for fun through Continuing Education classes.
- Build your employees' skills with the help of Customized Training.
- Take adult education courses to prepare for the GED.
- Improve your English language skills with ESL classes.
- Earn college credit before you even graduate high school through College NOW.
We keep Heartland classes small, so you get personal attention from our dedicated faculty and staff. We offer many free student supports to help you succeed on your academic, personal and career path.
We are constantly working to control costs and keep college affordable. Experts in our Financial Aid Office can help you learn about grant and aid programs for which you might qualify.
The Heartland Community College Foundation awards close to 250 scholarships every year to different kinds of students. We even have campus employment opportunities and payment plan options to help you achieve your education goals. You can also participate in our book swap each semester to save money on textbooks.
When you become a Heartland student you have many ways to get involved in campus life. Make friends by joining one or more of HCC's 30+ clubs and organizations. You can hang out in the Hawks Nest Game Room and stay active in our Fitness and Recreation Center.
Are you a competitive athlete or sports fan? The Heartland Hawks have been nationally recognized for their talent on the field and their contributions to our community. The Corncrib is home to men's baseball and soccer and women's softball and soccer.
Heartland is committed to protecting the environment. Our campus in Normal is home to:
- A commercial-grade wind turbine that generates about half of the College's electricity
- The Green Institute, which supports our commitment to sustainability through education, training, programs and initiatives for the College and community
- Electric vehicle charging stations
- The Illinois Green Economy Network, which promotes sustainability and renewable energy programs at colleges across the state
- The Workforce Development Center, Illinois' first state-funded LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified building
Heartland is a community resource and we invite you to:
- Schedule an individual campus visit at Normal, Lincoln or Pontiac
- Learn about using our meeting facilities
- Check out our calendar of events to see what's happening on campus
- Learn more about popular Normal campus destinations including:
- Bloomington-Normal was recently promoted in an article by The Huffington Post, “11 Amazing Cities You’ve Never Thought To Live In, But Should”. It ranked high for its affordable rent, big city amenities and Midwest charm. Learn more about our community at the Bloomington-Normal Area Convention and Visitors’ Bureau.