Medical assistants (MA) are healthcare professionals trained to work in a physician’s office/clinic both administratively and clinically. They are essential for the smooth workflow of the office. The MA program will work to develop skills including professionalism; scheduling: insurance and billing; assisting physicians with procedures, blood draws and specimen collection; preparing patients for examination; transmitting prescription refills as directed and providing direction and support for patient administration of medical therapies and medications.
Medical assistant is a growing profession that has the ability make a difference in medical offices, clinics, and medical and diagnostic laboratories where this role is very much in demand.
- Interact with patients every day
- Can be employed in a variety of roles
- Are ready for the workforce after just one year of training
There are many reasons to study at Heartland Community College.
- Student focused
- Dedicated instructors
- Small class sizes
- Supportive environment
As a selective admission program, the MA program enrollment is limited to 16 students per year. The decision for admission is based on achievement of minimum academic criteria, residency, and the quality of the applicant's credentials in relation to those of other applicants. Please see the following documents for additional information.
- Admission Information
- Applying for the MA Program
- Mission Statement and Program Outcomes
- Essential Functions
- Cost Sheet
- Student Drug Screen Policy
- Student Criminal Background Check Policy
- Advanced Placement, Experiential Learning, and Transfer Student Information
MA Application - PLEASE NOTE: Firefox is the suggested browser for completing the application document.
Please note - The following information meetings are scheduled for the Medical Assistant program. All meetings are held on the Heartland Normal campus. You do not need a reservation.
- October 16, 2019 (Wednesday), 5:00 pm - Room ICB 1704