College NOW Students
Interested in earning college credit while you are still in high school? Whether you attend high school or are a home-schooled student, this is for you!
Step 1: Apply
**WAIT! You do not need to submit the HCC student application every year while you are in high school. If you have never applied to Heartland, you can continue to the application below.**
To apply, you will need:
- Your correct social security number and high school graduation month and year.
- No Social Security Number? Follow these instructions.
- An email address you check often; avoid using your high school email account if possible.
- Your PRIMARY mailing address.
- If you have more than one home address (for example, if you live part-time with two separated/divorced parents), please enter the one you consider your primary address.
Important! Follow these College NOW application instructions (pdf) to choose the correct options on the application!
- PDF will open in a new window so you can refer to it as you complete the application.
- You MUST select Take one or more classes to apply as a College NOW student, even if you are working toward a degree or certificate while you are still in high school. If you choose any other option, the processing of your application may be delayed.
Please do not click Submit multiple times at the end of the application! The submission process can take a few moments to complete.
*Students under 16 years old taking HCC courses on-campus/online, not through our high school/career center partnerships, must complete additional Early Bird admission requirements.
We are ready to help you with your application process! Contact Angie.Carson@heartland.edu with your College NOW application questions.
For other College NOW questions, email CollegeNow@heartland.edu.
Step 2: Login
Within 3-5 business days, your welcome letter will go to the email address you entered on your application. Application processing could take longer during high-volume times OR if an error is detected with the information entered on your application (i.e. incorrect SSN, birth date, or high school graduation date).*Be sure to check your spam/junk filter. Students with Gmail accounts should also check the Promotions folder.
Visit home.heartland.edu to log into your myHeartland account. From there, you can:
- Click on Manage My Password and refer to the Student ID and Login Name you received in your acceptance e-mail to create a password and set up security questions.
- Access your myHeartland email; make a habit of checking it regularly!
- Once enrolled, click on My Classes to see more detailed information about your courses in Canvas. Classes will be available in Canvas 5 days before the class start date.
Reach out to our IT Helpdesk directly if you have difficulty accessing your account: firstname.lastname@example.org or 309-268-8380.
Step 3: Placement Testing
Determine whether you need to complete placement testing. Many high school students can waive placement tests by submitting recent PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores. Placement requirements must be met prior to enrollment in the class.
- For a complete list of accepted waivers and qualifying scores, visit the Waive the Placement Test page.
- Counselors often submit these scores for students taking dual credit classes at their high school. Additionally, placement Testing is not required for certain Career and Technical Education classes if taken as a College NOW student through your high school or career center. Connect with your high school counselor for more information!
- If you will be taking Heartland classes on-campus/online, download a copy of your PSAT or SAT Official Score Report on the College Board website, then submit it via the upload portal linked on the Waive the Placement Test page under Instructions for College NOW.
If you do not have eligible scores to waive the placement tests, Make an Appointment for placement testing!
Step 4: Take Flight!
Visit our College NOW page to learn more about your opportunities and next steps as a College NOW Student!