Waive the Placement Test
Who takes the test
- All first-time college students take the full placement test unless using a waiver or previous college-level credit for placement.
- Transfer students test as needed, based on your previous coursework on a transcript.
- If you have taken Heartland courses on our campus or through our dual credit program, you may not need to test if previous scores are still active.
If you hold degrees from another school in the United States or if you have special testing needs and considerations, contact us prior to testing.
ACT subscores in English and math may be used for placement if you took the ACT within the past three years. Here are the scores you need for placement at the college level. If your score is lower, you will need to take the placement test. (HCC's site code for sending ACT scores: 1046)
ACT English Subscore HCC Placement 19+ English 101
ACT Math Subscore HCC Placement 0-16 Math 095 or Math 097 17+ 19+ Math 099, Math 131, or Math 141 22+ Math 109, Math 135, or TMAT 105 28+ Math 129, 111, or 151
- Have you already taken a proctored ACCUPLACER or *ALEKS at another test site? Here is how you can transfer your scores:
- Placement test scores must be emailed directly from the test site to email@example.com.
- Scores must be within the last three years
- Transferred score reports will be subject to HCC's placement ranges.
*Unproctored ALEKS placement tests do not count towards placement
GED test scores (2014 exam series) in Reasoning through Language Arts and Mathematical Reasoning may be used for placement into college level courses and waiver of the ACCUPLACER test. If your score is lower, you will need to take the placement test.
High school transcripts should be submitted for evaluation for potential waivers if graduation was within the past three years. If your GPA is lower than what has been indicated, the placement test will may need to be completed.
Literacy placement at ENGL 101:
- 3.0+ on a 4.0 unweighted scale
- 3.75+ on a 5.0 unweighted scale
- 83+ on a 100.00 unweighted scale
Math placement at Math 131/141 or Math 099: Attainment of the GPA literacy requirement and a successful completion of a 4th year semester(s) of math.
High school transcripts should be sent to Records@heartland.edu a month before enrolling into courses.
PARCC scores in math and language arts may be used for placement. Here are the scores you need for placement at the college level. If your score is lower, you may need to complete the placement test.
PSAT scores in the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math section may be used for placement. If your score is lower, you may need to take the placement test.
SAT scores in the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math may be used for placement if you took the SAT within the past three years. Here are the scores you need for placement at the college level. If your score is lower, you will need to take the placement test. (HCC's site code for sending SAT scores: 1361)
SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing Section Score HCC Placement 480+ English 101
SAT Math Section Score HCC Placement 0-460 Math 095 or Math 097 470-490 500-520 Math 099, Math 131, Math 141 530-610 Math 109, Math 135, or TMAT 105 620-800 Math 129, 111, or 151
*If you did not include your mailing address in the background section during your SAT exam, your scores may not have been sent electronically to us. To confirm the status of your SAT scores with Heartland, please contact the Testing office at 309-268-8077 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- English placement: If you completed a college-level Composition I course with a "C" or better, you are exempt from the literacy test.
- Math placement: If you completed a college-level math course you're exempt from the math test unless you are attempting to place above a prerequisite course
Submit your transcripts to our Records office.
Submit ACT, External placement test*, GED, PARCC, PSAT, or SAT scores
If you are eligible to use ACT, External placement test, PARCC, PSAT or SAT scores for a placement in literacy and/or math send a copy to email@example.com.
*External placement test scores must be emailed directly from the test site.
Instructions for College NOW
College NOW campus students should choose the upload portal listed by the location you are taking Heartland courses through to upload eligible score reports:
- Normal Campus → Upload Portal 1
- Pontiac Location → Upload Portal 2
- Lincoln Location → Upload Portal 3
College NOW counselors should upload eligible score reports as follows:
- Upload Portal 1: BHS | CCA | CCHS | EPG | HEYHS | LEXHS | NCHS/NWHS | TVHS | UHS
- Upload Portal 2: FCHS | PCHS | PTHS | RHS
- Upload Portal 3: HEHS | LINCHS | OHS
Students are encouraged to turn in their placement waivers before August 1st for the fall semester and December 17th for the spring semester. High school transcripts, intended to use as placement waivers, should be sent four weeks before enrolling into courses.