Financial Aid Checklist
- Apply to HCC at the Heartland application page. We cannot receive your FAFSA unless you have applied to HCC.
- Create an FSA ID at the FAFSA website. The FSA ID serves as your digital signature for the FAFSA and login information for Federal Student Aid websites. Students may apply for an FSA ID anytime and it is recommended to create one before completing the FAFSA. If you are a dependent student, your parent will also need to create an FSA ID.
- Complete the FAFSA at the main FAFSA website. Use school code 030838 for HCC. HCC receives the FAFSA approximately 7-10 business days after it has been submitted. HCC will email once the FAFSA has been received with instructions regarding our prcocesses.
- If Required, Complete the Verification Process online, visit home.heartland.edu>student center>task tile to view verification required. You will also receive an email to your HCC email if you are selected for verification.
- Check your Financial Aid Status online, visit home.heartland.edu>student center>financial aid tile. You’ll also receive an award letter to your HCC email when the process in complete. 23/24 FAFSA awarding begins May 1, 2023.
- Accept your Financial Aid online, visit home.heartland.edu>student center>financial aid tile.
- Check your HCC Email regularly, this is the HCC Financial Aid Office’s only form of direct communication.
- Please Visit the paying for college page for detailed financial aid information.
*Financial Aid is applied directly to your HCC student account.
When to Apply
You must reapply for student aid every year.
Apply as early as possible. The FAFSA form should be submitted by the date for the respective semester as listed below.
|Fall Semester||March 1|
|Spring Semester Only||October 1|
To be considered for all aid types and to ensure your financial aid eligibility before each semester, apply by the preferred filing dates. Note that the major state grant program may require you to file earlier than the dates outlined due to limited funding.
Payment for Classes
If the above information has not been received by the Financial Aid office by these dates, the student may need to make arrangements for payment of tuition/fees with the Business Office prior to the payment due date. If the student is found to be eligible for financial assistance after payment has been made, the student may be reimbursed.
Transfering to a New School
if the student transfers schools, the aid does not transfer. Check with the new school to find out what steps the student must take to continue receiving aid.