skip to main content
Heartland Community College

Veterans & Active Duty

You may qualify for more than one educational benefits program.

Veteran's Education Benefits

The Department of Veterans Affairs and ISAC (Illinois Student Assistance Commission) administer a variety of veteran benefit programs for education.  Many veterans and active duty personnel may qualify for more than one educational benefits program.

 If you would like to use your VA benefits, you must visit the Financial Aid Office and let us know you have registered for classes.  If you have made changes to your class schedule, please notify Financial Aid.

Fill out this request for benefits and certification form (PDF)  every semester and return to the Financial Aid Office by email at or by mail. You can contact Ashley Westerhold for assistance with veterans education benefits and financial aid by phone 309-268-8020 or by email

Federal Veteran Education Benefits:

View current rates for:

If you are transferring to HCC from another college and have your Letter of Eligibility, you will need to complete the Change of Program or Place of Training Form.

All Chapters must fill out an application available online at the GI Bill application webpage..  To ensure correct processing please provide a copy of your DD-214 and Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid Office.  HCC does not determine benefit eligibility or payment details, we simply certify your enrollment to the VA.  All processing questions should be directed to the VA for resolution.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site. 


State of Illinois Benefit Programs

Once your application has been processed by the State, you will receive and eligibility letter.  Please forward this to the Financial Aid Office.  Note: Changes in federal, state, and/or institutional policies could affect the above stated financial information. 

Requesting Military Transcripts

Veterans or reservists may be eligible to receive additional transfer credit for specialized military training.  One of the following applicable documents must be submitted to the Records Office to receive this credit.  Unofficial copies or transcripts printed from the Internet cannot be accepted.  Information describing how to obtain an official JST (formerly AARTS or SMART or Coast Guard Institute Transcript), CCAF, or Coast Guard transcript is listed below. 

JST (formerly AARTS or SMART or Coast Guard Institute Transcript) - Marine Corps, Navy, Coast Guard, Army, National Guard, and Army Reserve: An official copy of the Joint Services Transcript request form may be obtained online at SMART- Joint Services Transcript

CCAF - Air Force: The Community College of the Air Force Transcript Request form is located at CCAF Transcript Request

National Testing Program

Advancing your education often requires costly national tests.  Students can be reimbursed all required (mandatory) fees charged for national admission tests and national tests for college credit.

Check if your test qualifies for reimbursement at National Testing Program.

Higher Education Veterans Service Act Survey Result for Heartland

Download the Higher Education Veterans Service Act survey results (PDF)

Veterans Work Study

Military and Active Duty students may qualify to work a part-time job on or off campus through the VA. Please contact the Coordinator of Veterans Services at or at (309) 268-8020 with any questions.

Download a Veterans Work Study Application (PDF)

Veterans Center

Making the transition from soldier to student is a lot easier when you can do it with the support of fellow veterans who are also pursuing their educations. The Center also serves as a centralized resource for the 250+ Armed Forces veterans currently attending HCC.

Learn more about the Veterans Center

Career Training & Continuing Education

Special veterans waivers may be available for specific career and technical training. Contact a Veteran's Affairs representative in the Financial Aid Office to discuss your eligibility.

Waivers may currently be available for:

Additional Financial Assistance

You may be eligible for additional types of financial assistance, scholarships or other forms of aid.

Look at other categories

Veterans Center

Student Commons Building (SCB) Suite 1101
Phone: 309-268-8313

Learn more about the Veterans Center

Financial Coaching

If you need help navigating your financial options, please contact a financial coach at or 309-268-8055.

Counseling Services

Student Counseling Services is available to anyone who feels they may need emotional support or may have any other concerns. Please contact Heartland's Counseling Center (SCB 2410) at or call (309) 268-8419.

Student Access and Accommodations 

SCB, Room 1415                                                        Email: 

Phone: 309-268-8259                                                                     

FAX: 309-268-7877



Academic Advising

Academic Catalog (PDF)

Advising Contact:

Chandra Shipley


Megan Kayfish (Career and Technical Education only)