Prepare for the Placement Test
Save time and money by preparing for your test.
It is a good idea to prepare for ACCUPLACER by refreshing your memory on math formulas, reading skills and general test taking tips. Taking the time to prepare before the test can increase your confidence, and it is likely you will be more successful.
Test taking tipsWe recommend practice and preparation before your first appointment.
- Be rested and ready to concentrate.
- Read all directions and answer questions carefully.
- Take a break between tests or take the tests on different days.
- Ask the test administrator for help if you are unsure about directions.
- Don't be concerned if others finish before you do. Everyone has a highly individualized test and people finish at different times.
- Need help preparing for ACCUPLACER form a trained tutor? Contact Tutoring for some extra assistance.
ACCUPLACER Preparation Workshops
Need help navigating these resources? Attend an ACCUPLACER preparation workshop to meet with a Testing staff member who can help you. Fall workshops are available on Tuesdays 1:00-2:30pm in the Student Commons Building, room 2001A. No appointment is required and help is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
ACCUPLACER Official Study App
Before you take the ACCUPLACER test, review sample questions in math and literacy (reading comprehension). You can download ACCUPLACER'S official study app for your smartphone or computer to prepare.
Step 1: Visit https://practice.accuplacer.org/login.
Step 2: Create an account by entering your email address and a password. Select "ACCUPLACER Next-Generation" as your test version. This account is cost-free.
Step 3: Take practice tests in Reading, Arithmetic, and Advanced Algebra Functions. The History tab will help you customize your review!
Other Recommended Study Links
The ACCUPLACER Literacy test assesses four broad knowledge and skills categories: information and ideas, rhetoric, synthesis, and vocabulary.
- View this printable list (PDF) for some additional vocabulary words you may want to become familiar with before taking the Literacy test.
- Need help preparing for your writing sample? Get tips from the people who review the essays through our Placement Essay Review Guide (PDF), and view this sample prompt (PDF).
The ACCUPLACER Math test features a range of topics including a variety of algebraic equations and functions. Questions will also include some Geometry and Trigonometry concepts.
Each test (literacy and math) can be taken twice. You must wait a minimum of one day before retesting in math. The writing retest can be taken the same day and requires a proctored 250-350 word writing sample with a standard time limit of 90 minutes. Writing sample results are available in five to seven business days.